Best Practices from Silicon Valley’s Leading IT Experts
First edition; 412 pages
BUY THIS BOOK
What it takes to be a truly great CIO… from the IT leaders who know best.
What does it take to get to the top in IT today, stay there, and thrive? How do you realign IT to maximize business value, and become a full strategic partner in the organization’s most critical decisions? CIO Wisdom brings together answers from 20 of the world’s most successful senior IT executives. Based on their extraordinary private discussions over the past 5 years, it covers every facet of IT leadership: planning, budgeting, sourcing, architecture, strategy, and much more. If you’re an IT leader-or you intend to become one-it’s the most important book you’ll read this year.
- What really works right now
- Taking charge: Creating a 90-day tactical plan-and an intelligent long-term strategy
- Refocusing IT on your company’s core business drivers
- Leading IT in today’s rapidly evolving “extended enterprise”
- Deciding what to outsource-and managing your outsourcing relationships
- Implementing the ten metrics most critical to IT success
- Setting priorities when infrastructure costs are rising and resources are declining
- Evolving the leadership style that works best for you-and your organization
- Coping with the incredible personal pressures of IT leadership
- Addressing the unique challenges that face women in IT’s upper echelons.
About the Authors
Senior Director Information Technology,Symantec Corporation
Mr. Lane brings more than 20 years of in-depth experience to his role at Symantec. Prior to joining Symantec, Dean was CIO at Allied-Signal, Morton Thiokol, Plantronics and Masters Institute of Technology. Additionally he has been a consultant for Ernst & Young, AT&T Global Information Systems and Gartner Group. Dean has been a company officer and line manager with P&L responsibility, managed strategic direction and infrastructure, day-to-day operational workflows, budgets ranging from $7 million to $70 million, direct reports of up to 12 managers, and 550 associates. Dean currently serves on the advisory board of Bridgestream, Inc., is a member of Executive World, the Project Management Institute, and APICS.